The Joint International Symposium on Bioscience and Biotechnology 2022 was successfully held on 1 Sept 2022 via Webex. It was jointly organized by Nara Institute of Science and Technology (NAIST, Japan), UM, USM ,and UTAR by Centre for Agriculture and Food Research (CAFR), Faculty of Science. The webinar kick-started with opening remarks given by Prof. Masaaki Umeda, the Director, Division of Biological Science, NAIST, and by Dr Lim Tuck Meng, Dean of FSc, UTAR.
Speakers and presentation:
1. Prof. Dr Rofina Yasmin Othman, UM. Biological and Biotechnological Research in UM: where we are heading.
2. Prof. Dr Alexander Chong Shu Chien, USM. Omega-3 from aquaculture: challenges and opportunities.
3. Assist. Prof. Dr Loh Pek Chin, UTAR. Characterization of Pantoea spp. that cause rice leaf blight and their phages as potential biocontrol agents.
4. Prof. Dr Taro Kawai, NAIST. Inhibition of innate immune responses and inflammatory diseases by 1'-acetoxychavicol acetate.
5. Siti Fatimah binti Mohd Taha, UM. Preliminary insights on Malaysian gut microbiota via whole metagenomics.
6. Asmaul Husna, USM. Molecular and pathogenic characterization of Fusarium species associated with rice bakanae-like disease from Malaysia.
7. Jamie Ng May Ling, UTAR. Possible genetic determinants of gentamicin resistance in Listeria monocytogenes.
8. Yasmin Fauzee, NAIST. Inter-organelle crosstalk protects against proteotoxic stress in the yeast Pichia pastoris.
9. Norshima Binti Abu Hasan, NAIST. Functional characterization of a newly identified α/β-hydrolase fold enzyme from Ideonella sakaiensis involved in poly(ethylene terephthalate) degradation.